Thursday, March 19, 2009

Lost Boys of Sudan


Has anyone read What is the What, Dave Eggers' novel/biography about Valentino Achak Deng, a Sudanese refugee? I've heard great things about this book but have not read it myself. Today at work I received an email that Deng along with some other refugees will be in the area early next week to talk about their experiences and the nonprofit they've started to build schools in Sudan. Below is the schedule of their appearances which can also be found here. I'm thinking about going to the one Monday night if anyone is interested.

March 23: UNC-Chapel Hill, 12:30-2:00pm in the Blue Cross Blue Shield Auditorium located in the Hooker Building.

March 23: Judea Reform Synagogue 7:00-9:00pm

March 24: Wake Forest University, 11:00-12:30pm in the Pugh Auditorium in the Benson Center.

March 24: Duke University, 4:30-6:00pm at Fleischman Commons in the Sandford Institute for Public Policy.

March 25: Meredith College, 10:00-12:00pm in Jones Chapel.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I have also heard great things about the book but have not read it. Dave Eggers intimidates me. Has anyone else read anything by him?

Anonymous said...

I've read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and loved it. I went to a booksigning for You Shall Know Our Velocity but have never read it. I own both if you would like to borrow either.