Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Children's Books Recommendations

Hi everyone! I miss you guys and am hoping to make it back to book club in January (and hopefully bring the girls to the holiday party in a few weeks). I have a book dilemma that I thought you guys would be perfect to solve, and hopefully can have some fun in the process:

I'd like to get Isa some new books for Christmas and want to graduate from the board books we've been reading to her to something with a bit more of a story. She's almost 2 and a half, and lately has really preferred the crazy stories we make up for her to books, so I think we need new books to pique her interest. For those of you with kids already past this age, what books did your kids like? For those of you without kids, what books do you remember enjoying? I'd love suggestions of titles, authors or even book type. Thanks!

3 comments:

Pam said...

At that age (maybe even a little older), I really liked all the classic fairy tales and stories. Especially the Little Golden Books. Do they still make those?

Liz said...

They do still make Little Golden Books. One of Charlie's favorites is "The Bunny Book." Charlie also likes or has recently liked: Wild about Books, Big Chickens, everything by Mo Willems, Zen Shorts (I skip the parables until he's older), The Snowy Day, The Little House, Olivia, I'm Dirty, I Stink (those last two might be more boyish than Isa's taste). You can't go wrong with Mo Willems though. He also likes a lot of the Dr. Seuss books. Right now he's into Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now.

Oh, and Sonya, remember when we were discussing the Monster at the End of this Book? I bought it for Charlie, and apparently I am so good at reading it to him, he gets scared and he doesn't want me to finish it. It amuses me and makes me feel guilty at the same time!

Anonymous said...

Sorry this is so late but I figured you might still be looking for ideas :) The golden books are great, so is anything by Dr. Seuss. My kids also like the "If you give a moose a muffin" series, Alexander and the terrible, horrible no good, very bad day, Cloudy with a chance of meetballs and anything Disney related (you can get whole collections of just princess books - not my favorite but Sarah loved them).

When she gets a little bit older and is ready for short chapter books let me know - I have several series I can recommend.