Monday, October 27, 2008

Ramona Forever

Ramona Quimby is finally coming to the big screen. The linked article is a wonderful interview with Beverly Cleary, author of the Ramona books. She still writes them! A quote from the article:

"I haven't been very enthusiastic about the commercialization of children's literature," she says. "Kids should borrow books from the library and not necessarily be buying them."

What do you think of this comment? If we are truly facing economic hard times, and a turn towards more sensible spending habits, these are words to live by. I appreciate her perspective. Young readers aren't just a market to sell books to, they are our children! As a non-commercial environment, the library seems to protect them from the kind of subtle manipulation that even our beloved bookstores engage in. In libraries, children have a space to explore and discover literature at their own pace and on their own terms.

3 comments:

Allison said...

I loved Ramona and now I love Beverly Cleary. What a neat lady. I had no idea that D.E.A.R. day was her birthday. I've never really thought about the commercialization of children's literature before but I agree with her viewpoint. I think when there are movies and toy buy-ins, it's too easy to fall back on those images than your own imagination when reading a book.

Marina said...

Oh wow! I remember reading the Ramona books when I was in the first grade. They were the first series that I can really remember reading!

Anonymous said...

I loved this books as a kid. I am trying to get Sarah hooked as well :)

I do agree that the library should be the first place to go for books - it does take off the pressure to find the 'perfect' book and just have fun picking something you might like (although my type "A" personality usually makes me finish all books - even the ones I may not like).