Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Flashback: Bee Season

In 2001, we read Bee Season by Myla Goldberg. (Later, we also read her book, Wickett's Remedy.) How many of our current members have read Bee Season? It is one of the book club books that I still think about frequently. It is my favorite representation of enlightenment, or nirvana, divine trancendance, whatever you want to call it. Becoming one with God. I guess I like the depiction of it in the book because it doesn't happen in a way that any of the human characters can comprehend or make sense. Or so I remember it. I also love the exploration of obsessive-compulsive disorder, the genetic and practical variations of this kind of mental illness in a family, and its relation to their spiritual practices. So fascinating. It would be great to read and discuss it again.

2 comments:

Allison said...

I haven't read but it sounds fascinating. I will be adding it to my to-read list.

Anonymous said...

Me too - does anyone still have their copy I can borrow?