Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sonya's Answers to Reading Quiz

1. Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
I think I always loved to read- my parents say I memorized books from about the age of two. But the first book I remember completely adoring was Anne of Green Gables- I devoured the entire series and read them many times. I just loved Anne so much and even took to naming the trees and streams near my house like she did in the books.
2. What are some books you read as a child?
Well, guess I should have looked ahead, but when I was really small I loved a book called I am a Mouse and Sesame Street books like The Monster at the End of This Book. Later, I loved The Babysitter's Club and choose-your-own-adventure books.
3. What is your favorite genre?
Fiction, but I like both contemporary and literary.
4. Do you have a favorite novel?
The Poisonwood Bible
5. Where do you usually read?
Anywhere I get the chance, but usually in bed or on the couch.
6. When do you usually read?
Before bed or during a sporting event I'm not interested in.
7. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
I can barely handle one at a time.
8. Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
No.
9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
I try to get most of my books at the library- I love the idea of being able to give them back when I'm finished with them, plus it saves money. But, I do buy on occasion and seem to do that more frequently these days for convenience's sake.
10. Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
I give them away in big stacks to Goodwill, or if it's a book I really love, to my sister or mom.
11. If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
The Monster at the End of this Book, Goodnight Moon, I am a Mouse and fairytales- all books I read as a child.
12. What are you reading now?
Dreams from My Father by Barack Obama, with no chance of finishing before tonight.
13. Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
Right now I have a stack of books on my nightstand from an overly ambitious plan to read three books while on vacation (I read about 30 pages total the entire week), but usually I don't have a list.
14. What’s next?
Probably next month's book pick, but I really want to read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver and it's in the aforementioned stack.
15. What books would you like to reread?
I'd love to re-read books I hold very dear, like Poisonwood Bible, The Red Tent, Circle of Friends and other books that really spoke to me the first time I read them to see how my perspective has changed. I also think I need to read Atonement again- I liked it the first time, but I don't think fully appreciated it.
16. Who are your favorite authors?
Barbara Kingsolver, Maeve Binchy, Jane Austen, Meg Cabot and David Sedaris (how's that for diverse?)

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm so glad you posted these Sonya, I enjoyed reading them. It reminds me that I have GOT to go buy a copy of The Monster at the End of this Book right now. I think Charlie would love it.

I did not know The Poisonwood Bible was your favorite novel. Did you ever read Prodigal Summer? I loved that one too.

Sonya said...

This was fun to do! Yes, I think every two-year-old should read the Monster at the End of this Book- there's actually a sequel out that includes Elmo (who is Isa's hero at the moment) and is called Another Monster at the End of this Book. It's not as good as the original, but still cute.