Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Can't eat, can't work, can't sleep??

The Post-Birthday World: Is it possible not to love, but to be in love with a book? I finished it last night at 2:30 AM, basically reading the last half in one sitting. When I stood up to stretch and ruminate, I had no idea what time it was and was shocked to see the numbers glowing on the kitchen stove clock. I slept soon after, but not very deeply. Some words describing my feelings today: giddy, all stomach butterflies, completely unable to concentrate on work, and increasingly, achingly empty. I need more coffee to clear my head but I'm afraid of increasing my heart rate even more! The precipice of pleasure and pain indeed!

I remember Allison writing about needing to take a walk after Cold Mountain. On the one hand, I want to hurry up and process this book and move on because really, I have work to do. But on the other hand, I hate to let Irina, Ramsey and Lawrence go. I was considering re-reading the book immediately to be better able to discuss it next week but at this point I think that would be torture. Let the mourning period begin.

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Liz, I'm so glad you had such a strong reaction to the book! I'm about halfway through, and while I fluctuate between loving and being completely infuriated with the characters, I do think it's a really well-written and haunting book. I've had dreams about Irina, Ramsey and Lawrence already, and can't imagine what it would be like if I read the last half in one sitting. Looking forward to the discussion-