Saturday, May 31, 2008

Someone who gets it!

This morning I allowed myself to read all the Sex and the City reviews. I got more and more frustrated by stupid male reviewers, and then the woman who wrote the NYT review really pissed me off. Get this: she disregarded the movie for its one-dimensional male characters! But I finally found one I completely agree with so I thought I'd share it. It's from an LA Times (female) reviewer.

____________________

Also, I was doing some reading on the new Brideshead Revisited, for which we saw a preview last night, and found this awesome bit about Emma Thompson and the weight of the actress who plays Julia. Go Emma!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW!)
I agree the reviewers have been too harsh with this movie. Didn't The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and Superbad, all male-buddy movies, get positive reviews? I'm so pleased SATC did as well as it did opening weekend - maybe Hollywood will think about making more movies for smart women rather than focusing so much on teenage boys.

The one-dimensional male characters didn't bother me so much but that's probably because I know the show inside and out and am familiar with the backstories of all the characters. There were some storylines I would have liked to have seen more fleshed out, for example, why did Steve cheat on Miranda and with whom? Why did Samantha quit her job to manage Smith full-time? What happened to Stanford and Marcus? I liked Jennifer Hudson's character, but I think that storyline could have been dropped to give more time to these sideline stories.

On a final note, does anyone else think it's odd that family does not seem to play a role in any of the characters' lives? In my experience, family comes up a lot when talking to friends. On the show, families were rarely discussed or seen and when they were, it was usually in a negative context.

Liz said...

I have often thought about how their families are missing too. From what I can remember, the only one who has really dealt with extended family issues is Miranda, when her mom died and with Steve's mom. And both were negative experiences. I don't know what this means. I think people who "move to the city" are more on their own, independent of their families. Maybe getting away from your family and your roots is part of what attracts you to the city.