Friday, May 23, 2008

Ghostwritten follow-up

This morning I was thinking about Ghostwritten and the series of random events/coincidences that led to the end of the book. That got me thinking about the series of random events in my own life, which got me thinking about the series of random events that brought us all together in bookclub. If we were to write a book about the formation of our bookclub using the Lost/Ghostwritten style of storytelling, which random connections would we include?

For me, I picked biostatistics as my major because I liked the color of the brochure. If the brochure had been another color, or if I'd seen another one I'd liked better, I might never have met most of you, and Dawn, Liz, Katie and I might not have started the bookclub. Liz, I remember you and I started working at RTI the same day - wasn't sure if you met Katie and Dawn separately. If not, if we'd started work on different days, we might not have connected. So what led us to working there on the same day? Can anyone else think of any, seemingly unrelated, random events that brought us all together? I know there's a Buffy connection, and Marina has a lot of random connections with everyone!

1 comment:

Sonya said...

Ooh- I like this idea, even though the book seemed a little beyond my current mental capacity. I also owe most of my connections to biostatistics, even though I'm not a biostatistician myself. I met Brian right when he was waiting to hear about getting into UNC's grad program, and he'd already been in class with Dawn and Sutapa, and knew Katie through Dawn. I do have some random connections outside of Brian, though, such as:


*I know Allison at least three ways: We had a mutual friend, Teri, in college; I was good friends with her one of her best childhood friends in college and through the Bios connection.

*Marina knew some of my college friends from UNC Bands, including most of the trumpet section (of which I was a member)

*Dawn went to high school with two of my best college friends, and I think she knew their older siblings.

*Katie's sister and I were friends in college through the band, and I marched between Sarah and her husband the year they started dating.

Think that's it, but it is a little surreal- I even owe my connection to Beth to Bios, as we met through the Kilgallens, and Brian K is a UNC Bios grad. And really, I'm only connected to Bios because I was in the marching band and went to UNC, but I was about 10 seconds away from accepting a scholarship to American U in DC before deciding to go to Carolina.