Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pasta Night

Wednesday is pasta night in my household. About every other week I make this recipe, Broccoli Pasta Alfredo. The mock "alfredo" is sauce made from plain yogurt, ricotta, parmesan, and walnuts. It is the perfect busy family-working mom recipe. Why?

1. It cooks in 30 minutes or less and requires only 1 pot (plus the food processor).
2. It contains a green vegetable - and you can easily make it with frozen broccoli to make it easier.
3. Fresh garlic!
4. The half cup of walnuts is a great way to give your family some good fats.
5. It contains no meat, and the ingredients can be kept in the fridge for a week or longer so it is always on standby.
6. It's super easy to vary with seasonal veggies and herbs. Mmm, fresh basil makes it so yummy.
7. I have made it with low fat and no fat yogurt and ricotta and it's been just has good.

I love making this recipe -since it's no-fail, I feel so confident and talented when I do it, like when Bridget Jones goes shopping for her dinner party, before the cooking turns into a disaster! Does anyone else have favorite go-to recipes like this?

4 comments:

Allison said...

Thanks for this recipe. I'm definitely going to try it, though minus the walnuts. I love broccoli and I love easy. My go-to recipe is what I call fish packets. You take a piece of fish, put it in the middle of a piece of parchment paper, pour a little olive oil on top and some salt and pepper. Roll up the sides and top of the parchment paper. Bake on 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. It is based off of this recipe.

Liz said...

The walnuts get all ground up like in pesto so it's not nutty. Russ doesn't like most nuts, and he eats it heartily, so you might be able to leave them in. Walnuts are a superfood!

J said...

This looks yummy! I'll have to try it. It seems like it would be lower fat than most alfredos. Do you agree?

My go-to recipe is rotelli pasta tossed with olive oil, garlic, broccoli, sun dried tomatoes, and fresh tomatoes. Sometimes some grilled chicken, sometimes not. Sometimes some spinach, sometimes not. Always topped with fresh parmesean.

I came her via Dewey's Weekly Geeks challenge, by the way. :)

Liz said...

J - Thanks for visiting! Yes it's way lower fat than most alfredos. The last version I made was with nonfat yogurt and low fat ricotta. The walnuts of course add a ton of fat back but it's all the good kind. Your go-to pasta sounds like a good one too, maybe I will try it next week for pasta night!