Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

Hey everyone! I finally figured out how to post something - took me a while though. I must be missing some brain cells.

Holiday movies:
I saw Atonement in Atlanta with my mom and grandma a few days ago. It is very well done and true to the book. There are several flashbacks which can get confusing at times (my grandma had a hard time following) but if you read the book it should be easy for you.

Katie's top 5 Books of 2007

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
2. Eat, Pray, Love
3. When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman
4. Kushiel's Dart by Jaqueline Carey
5. Katherine by Anya Seton

I love historical fiction so it is no surprise that two of my top 5 would be of this category (#3 and #5). Sharon Kay Penman is a wonderful historical author - her books are very well researched and very well told. It is all very historical so there are lots of battle scenes and lots of political background. Not near as fluffy as Phillipa Greggory (whom I also love and can't wait until February to see The Other Boylen Girl movie). Anya Seton is another great author I have recently discovered. She wrote in the 1940's and has done a great job portraying the women of her books. Katherine is a beautiful, historical love story told of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, the ancestors of most of the British royal family. Kushiel's Dart is the strange one of the group. It is set in a fantasy world and is a great adventure story. Some if the subject matter is a little out of the box - I will let you read the BN reviews to find out the details - but it is really good and really captivating.

Katie's top 5 TV shows of 2007

1. American Idol
2. Criminal Minds
3. Private Practice
4. Friday Night Lights
5. America's Next Top Model

Ok - I finally added my little bit.
Hope you all are doing well.
Happy New Year!!!!!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Yay, I'm glad you were able to post. I have wanted to read Katherine by Anya Seton for several years. Maybe I will get to it in 2008.