Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday Bookish Meme

From BTT

Have you ever been a member of a book club? How did your group choose (ot, if you haven’t been, what do you think is the best way to choose) the next book and who would lead discussion?

Do you feel more or less likely to appreciate books if you are obliged to read them for book groups rather than choosing them of your own free will? Does knowing they are going to be read as part of a group affect the reading experience?

Well, I think we can ignore the first part of this question. Post your answers in the comments!

2 comments:

Liz said...

I definitely appreciate books more if I read them for book club then discuss them. Certain books I have appreciated much more after our discussion, including East of Eden, Eat, Pray, Love, Jane Eyre, and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan to name a few. That is why I post the polls on each book AFTER our book club meeting - our discussion definitely hash an impact on how much I like or dislike the book. I typically don't read them differently if they're book club books, but I'd like to. I would like to get in the habit of marking passages I think would be good for discussion. But most of the time I'm too lazy or wrapped up in the book to get up and find a pen and post it note.

Boquinha said...

In our book club, we simply take turns (no set order) choosing books and make sure everyone gets a turn every rotation all the time. We have no theme, no rules, simply an "anything goes" policy. So we all tend to choose books we've been wanting to read anyway and we read them and discuss them as a group. And of course there's food (theme food matching the book). :P