Friday, June 27, 2008

Friday Flashback: Naming our Group

Our book club was nameless until 2000. If you've ever tried to plan a lunch or dinner out with us you know we can be some indecisive people, so it took some effort to come up with book club names. Most of them were pretty bad:

The Miami Relatives
The Excitement
Oprah Alternatives
Triangle Area Readers
RTP - Read Talk and Prepare Food
Acute Triangle Readers
The Commuters
Commuting Readers
Food Comes First
First, the Food
To Read or not to Read
Book 'em!

OK some explanation - "The Miami Relatives" was Laura Mullins' idea. I think I voted for this one. It was at the time of the Elian Gonzalez incident and it was just funny. "The Excitement" was a reference to one of the early books we read, Angela's Ashes. In it, young Frank McCourt refers to sex, which he knows hardly anything about, as "The Excitement," always capitalized. That was one of my nominations, and I still think it's funny too.

By the way, if you're now wondering what happened to Elian, he just joined the youth Communist Party this month! The CBS news story makes me so angry - it's introduced as "Remember Elian being forcibly removed from his relatives 8 years ago . . ." without any mention of the fact that he was being taken back to his father! The whole story is sad but I'm happy he's alive and well and with his daddy. Probably a good thing we did not name our book club after those relatives.

2 comments:

Allison said...

I'm glad you explained "The Miami Relatives". I was scratching my head over that one. The first thing that came to mind was The Golden Girls.

I hope this doesn't offend whoever nominated it, but I'm really glad y'all didn't go with Acute Triangle Readers.

Liz said...

I came up with that one too. I came up with about half of those. There were only 3 of us who made nominations: me, Laura, and my office mate at the time, Jeremy.