Sunday, April 6, 2008

Live Blogging Sense and Sensibility!! Part 2

This week, I read some other live blogs and realized that I did not use the conventional style for mine. So this week I'm going to do that, for example:

9:01 Getting started. Hi Gillian! Oooh, X-Files movie coming out soon.

9:02 Oh jeez this Tom Le Froy crap. Why does it have to be a man who taught Jane about love? Of course he had been in love with her . . . she was famous by then! Probably everybody who met her when she was 18 said that.

Anyway so I will just post and edit as we go.

9:03 I'm not really in the same mood as last week. I have some proposal crap to work on and I'm leaving for the airport at 6:30 AM. Not even close to being packed. And I'm getting Charlie's cold because yesterday morning when he coughed, his output landed in my eye.

9:05 In college, as a proper Janeite rationalist, I much preferred Elinor. Romantic sensibility, bosh. But these days I feel more sympathy for Marianne. Jane is a little harsh with her. Maybe that's why I find this gentle version of her appealing.

9:08 I agree with Dawn, this Edward is better than Hugh Grant.

9:09 And now he's chopping wood and sweating. And brooding. OMG. He's the bomb.

9:11 Oh Mr. Palmer!! I miss Hugh Laurie so much. Who the heck is Dr. House anyway?

9:12 Back to the chopping and sweating - that damp ruffled white shirt is the Davies formula. And it works!

9:14 Oh the Misses Steele are hysterical!! I love them!!

9:16 This Elinor is so good!

9:20 LOL! Charlotte's silks!

9:24 Colonel Brandon.

9:25 If only Hugh Laurie and those Misses Steele would get together. Oh it would be so funny.

9:26 Poor Marianne. Does anybody else remember going to the school dances and looking for that one guy all night? Especially after you spent one delightful night flirting and bonding with him, over Dinosaur Jr and the Cure, or something like that, and he told you he'd see you at the dance? Only when you finally found him he was dancing with someone more popular and blonder? Yep, I had that same misery and his name was Kevin Peterson. Good on me, I didn't faint. Thankfully so, because there was no Colonel Brandon to catch me. But I like to believe I am better for it!!

OK no need to dwell on age 15 anymore. Ick.

9:30 Wait, while I was reminiscing, Colonel Brandon is fighting Willoughby? I am confused. Did this happen in the book? It's completely enjoyable, but is it canon?

9:34 Oh poor wretched Marianne. I just can't stand it.

9:37 Oh right, I remember. That's why he's fighting Willoughby. Elinor's black with white striped dress is so awesome.

9:44 Miss Lucy Steele. So funny! I love her!

9:45 "I have heard him say he was never any happier than with us at Norland." Go Marianne!

10:04 Does this Jane Austen book have the best sisterly relationship? I think it might. Will have to think about it some more.

10:15 Those are falcons and not carrier pigeons right? OK, definitely a falconer.

10:17 Poor Elinor! She is too restrained. I never studied this in school. But the ideal is something between Elinor and Marianne right? Elinor is not Jane's ideal is she? I mean I love her, but she's not just practical she's terribly repressed.

10:23 Chickens?!! That's how it ends? With chickens??

10:27 Russ is home from Kentucky. I need to catch up with him (then write my proposal, then pack for Cincinnati) and I will have to process this later. It was really good until it ended with barnyard fowl.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Wonderful! Three things I completely 100% agree with: loved the wood-chopping scene, missed Hugh Laurie, and loved Elinor's black and white dress. Only thing I somewhat disagree with was the Miss Steele's...Lucy seemed too sweet and I didn't get the motiviation as to why she would leave Edward for the other Farris.

Allison said...

So I finally caught up on my Sense and Sensibility watching today. I thought it was great but I still think Miss Austen Regrets is my favorite. Thanks for live-blogging Liz; I enjoyed reading along as I watched it. The one thing that nagged me as I watched all of these movies? Their dresses were always dragging on the ground! I love the dresses but I kept wanting to tell them to pick them up as they walked.