Friday, February 8, 2008

Friday Five: Book to Movie Adaptations

Allison had this great idea for a Friday list. What are your top 5 book to movie adaptations? I'll have to do some more thinking about this but here are my initial thoughts:

1. A Room with a View. Best movie adaptation of a book ever. Period.
2. Bridget Jones' Diary. Can't top casting Colin Firth as Mark Darcy. Although it results in the loss of some of the best jokes. And I always have to chuckle when I remember that that's Tom playing the evil genius Gaius on Battlestar Galactica!
3. L.A. Confidential. Curtis Hanson made a good pulpy noir mystery a literary masterpiece, and gave Russell Crowe his career.
4. Little Women with Susan Sarandon, Winona Ryder, Claire Danes and Christian Bale. I always wanted to love the book but found it sooooo dull! Then I saw the movie. Love it!
5. Lord of the Rings. The whole trilogy. It took me 4 months to read the trilogy, and about 3 of those months were spent dragging through The Two Towers. But somehow Peter Jackson made it my favorite of the 3 movies! I can watch the battle at Helms Deep over and over and over again. I still get emotional when the elves show up to aid the men.

Now post your own! Happy Friday, everyone!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I love Little Women and A Room with a View! I have them both on VHS and I desperately need to buy the DVDs. Good choice!

Allison said...

I've never seen A Room with a View. I'll definitely add it to my Netflix now. As for Little Women, I'm partial to the June Allison version. I couldn't tell you how many times my sister and I watched that movie when we were little. Like you, I found the book on the blah side even though my aunt bought me a beautiful edition.

Liz said...

You don't need to Netflix it. I have it on DVD. You can borrow it for a couple years.

Mushi said...

A Clockwork Orange
The Graduate
West Side Story?

I haven't read the following, but I imagine they are better than the book...

Bridges of Madison County
Notebook
Last of the Mohicans