Sunday, February 3, 2008

2000: The Food Comes First

As Edith commented on November 21, the year 2000 was when we started to be all about the food in book club. That might have even been the year we gave our book club its name. Once we made our way through the basic book club ethnic food themes (Indian, Italian, and Mexican seem to be the most common . . .) we tried to get more creative, for example:

The Power and the Glory - Mexican
The Kitchen Gods Wife - Chinese
100 Years of Solitude - Mexican again
Lost in Translation - We ate out at a Mongolian wok restaurant. (Unfortunately after we got our bowls, we saw it had a B grade.)
Beloved - We recreated the feast in a key scene in the book. That was actually a really great meal: we had cornbread, fish, collard greens. Yum!
The Sparrow - We had a mix of Italian and alien food. Laura and Tajhia made jello shots! (Seriously, the alien race drank something that sounded very much like them.)
Corelli's Mandolin - Italian and Greek?? Michele had the zany idea of making a bottle of wine look like pee, because one of the characters pees in a bottle at some point, I can't remember but I think it was a drunk priest. Or maybe I'm mixing that up with The Power and the Glory.
A Widow for One Year - ? Can't remember what kind of food we had. Maybe we tried for a New England theme?

In later meetings, we did things like foods with a mystery filling for the mystery book, and black and white foods for The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to his White Mother. For Fast Food Nation we made homemade versions of fast food.

I think we should go back to wacky food themes - maybe for Water for Elephants we could have circus food: peanuts, cotton candy, and hot dogs!

3 comments:

Sonya said...

I love the idea of themed meals for our meetings- it makes it more fun and gives me a chance to try my hand at cooking and eating new foods. Circus food this month would be great- mmm!

Liz said...

Sonya: And you're really good at it too! :) Anything you make is always yummy. I'd like to start getting more of our recipes posted on the blog. If you have anything you want to share - go right ahead!

Allison said...

I like this idea too. I remember the first book club meeting I went to was for A Girl Named Zippy and you all made childhood favorites like chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese. I can't recall if it was a big part of the book or not, but someone made very yummy peach margaritas for the meeting about The Jane Austen Book Club. I'm all for circus food this month especially if it involves hot dogs.