Monday, January 28, 2008

The Complete Jane Austen

So what does everyone think of the Complete Jane Austen? So far they've shown Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park.

Thus far my favorite has been Northanger Abbey. It's a good one to adapt into a 1 1/2 hour movie because it's a shorter, frothier book than her other works.

Persuasion is not as good an adaptation as the older movie that came out (about 10-15 years ago or so?) with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. I remember being so emotional in the final scene in that older version, and when I read the book for book club. But this time around, it wasn't quite as dramatic or moving, or something. Can't really put my finger on it. Persuasion is such a simple story; Austen's achievement is giving it so much emotional weight. Somehow the new movie lost that emotion.

I know Dawn has read Mansfield Park. Has anyone else? This story always troubles me. I think I need to read the book. It's darker than her other books. The mean people (the Crawfords and the Bertrams) are really mean, and on the depraved side. In her other books, when characters choose money over love, it's generally seen as sensible, though sad. But in this book, the Crawfords are just plain mercenaries. They're too wicked to laugh at. And Fanny Price is so abused, like Jane Eyre, but I suppose not quite as badly. But unlike Jane Eyre (and Elizabeth Bennett, and Emma Woodhouse), Fanny Price just lets everyone walk all over her while pining away for Edmund. And in the end, she's rewarded and praised for it. I just can't get behind it!

I'm looking forward to next weekend's Miss Austen Regrets, which must be another version of Becoming Jane. Looks fun!

No comments: