Thursday, December 13, 2007

January Book: Anna Karenina

It's December 13th. Forget about Christmas shopping, the real clock that's ticking is the 31 days until our January meeting. How many of you have started Anna Karenina? I have not, because I've discovered a new guilty pleasure. More on her later. (And because it's the holidays, and who the heck has time to read anyway?)

But I do think a lot about how I'm going to start reading Anna K. very, very soon. And I plan to be very organized about it. First I'm going to get my head around it with this wikipedia summary. Then, I'm going to peruse Oprah's book club's info on the book. I might even read a little about Leo Tolstoy's life in my down time.

My reward for finishing the book? Watching this miniseries with yummy Kevin McKidd from Journeyman! (And BTW, if you are not watching Journeyman right now you should, right Sonya?) Or if you're more of a Boromir kind of person, you could watch this movie version.

Oprah says Anna Karenina is "an extremely sexy and engrossing read." Definitely something to look forward to.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid Journeyman is no more. I saw this the other day: http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=a210f827-8ffc-4882-834d-8fc1af7eb40c
I need to hurry up and watch any episodes available online.

I too have not started Anna Karenina yet. Do you read all of the supporting material you linked to before you read a novel or afterwards? I've found that I like to read that kind of stuff afterwards.

Sonya said...

Ah, not so fast- there's still hope: http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Journeyman-Saved-Rice/800029278. I'm picking up some Rice-A-Roni today. I really love the show and Kevin McKidd, so the idea of gettig to see him in something else might motivate me to get a move on on AK. I've started and am on page 167 (note that's only 30 pages more than I was at the last book club meeting). I'm hoping for some dedicated reading time when grandparents want to play with Isa and I can get away. I love the prose and the characters in the book, but the pace is so slow that it's tough for me to get into it. I want to like it, though, if only to convince myself that I haven't gone completely dumb and can still understand classical literature. Thanks, Liz, for the links- I'm going to check them out.

Liz said...

OK now I'm stressed! I'm going to have to start reading Anna K right away . . . as soon as it comes from Amazon that is.

I hope the rice a roni campaign works. I remember when people sent Tabasco for Roswell it worked!

Sonya said...

personally, I think oranges would be a better campaign item since Livia told Dan they explode when "traveling"...