Thursday, December 27, 2007

Allison's 2007 Favorites

Top 5 Books of 2007*
  1. Atonement
  2. Eat, Pray, Love
  3. Little Children
  4. Interpreter of Maladies
  5. Little Earthquakes
*Of the books I remember reading. I have a vague recollection of reading some good books my last semester in school but they are lost to me now. If you are like me and have trouble remembering what you've read but would like to, I highly recommend giving GoodReads a try. You can keep track of books you've read, are currently reading, and would like to read as well as write mini-reviews. Plus you can link to friends' profiles, like mine and Liz's.

Top 5 TV Shows of 2007

1. 30 Rock
2. The Office
3. Friday Night Lights
3. Cold Case
4. Pushing Daisies
5. Ugly Betty

I wanted to end this list by taking a moment to honor the memory of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars, both of which ended this year. While neither of their final seasons was their best, they are sorely missed.

*Addendum - I just noticed a huge omission in my list of best tv shows of 2007 and that would be Damages, the BEST tv show of the year. I would have added this as a comment but this show is just too good for a comment and deserves its own post. It was short (13 episodes) but highly suspenseful and fun to dissect and discuss after each episode. How much did I love this show? So much that when I realized the season finale would broadcast two days into my honeymoon - my romantic, Hawaiian, tv-and-internet-free honeymoon - I seriously considered postponing it for a few days. Of course, we set up the DVR to record the finale to watch after we got back but that was just too long to wait. Luckily, the episode was available on the internet a few days after the broadcast and we had brought along a laptop. We "borrowed" a neighbor's wifi connection, though the signal was so weak, we had to go outside the cottage and hold the laptop towards the sky to download the episode. Yes, we are geeks but we love our tv.

6 comments:

Liz said...

I like how you cheated and put 6. Well actually, 8. I didn't know you watched Cold Case!

Allison said...

I'm a recent Cold Case convert. Harper got me hooked a few months ago and now I watch it on Sundays and whenever I can catch reruns. I like guessing what music they're going to use.

Liz said...

Seriously? I've never heard of Damages. I have to look it up right now.

Liz said...

Hmm. . . a courtroom drama?

Allison said...

Not really a courtroom drama. I can only recall one courtroom scene. More of a lawyer drama centering around a murder and Enron type scandal.

Sutapa said...

Matt and I were skeptical of Damages too when we first started watching it because we're not fans of the legal drama/cop shows. However, once you get past the first half of first episode (set up is kind of slow), it gets really good. It's more of a triller than a drama. Lots of suspense and intrigue. I read that FX renewed the show for 2 more seasons - not sure how they will be able to match the suspense of the first season, but we can only hope...